How to Break Into the Advertising Industry: 5 Practical Tips for Young Aspiring Professionals
Winston Churchill once said, “Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” The quote is a good tenet for young guns aspiring to enter the world of advertising. Digital advertising is creating quite a stir in Malaysia. The going trend these days is the shift from the traditional media – TV and radio, periodicals – to online media. Many young professionals now search for advertising jobs in Malaysia, whether it’s for traditional or online media. There are plenty of opportunities and once you get started, there would be more opportunities that will come to you.
Successful advertising translates into ringing cash registers. But work in the field of advertising is highly competitive. Take your time to digest these valuable tips if you desire to make it inside the industry.
- Persistence is a virtue : Manage your expectations and do not be easily disappointed. The minute you are discouraged, you trim down your chances of getting hired or even being considered. Persistence is the key. Be prepared for an eyeball to eyeball confrontation. Rejection is a natural occurrence and the only way to get through is just to keep pushing.
- Socializing is an Art : Make socializing your daily habit. Advertising is not for the lame and the lazy. Fill up your day with people interaction. Meet people over a cup of coffee. Surround yourself with like-minded people. The industry has taken on a new turn with the dawn of social networking. Create accounts in social media sites like Friendster, Facebook, Twitter, and other well-known social media outlets. Cover all grounds if you want more chances of making it in.
- Brand Yourself : Branding is critical in this day and age of advertising. Why do you think Coca-Cola was able to maintain its status as one of the world’s most valuable brands? In the same light, you should be able to build an image for yourself. Be a firebrand. Be someone who is passionate in your craft. Be someone who can incite change and take radical action if need be.
- Learn from the Experts : Nothing beats experience. People who have established careers in advertising took the high road to success. Look for that role model you can emulate and learn from. Newbies who are eager to learn gets it done. Beggars can’t be choosers so as a rookie, get your foot in the door first. On the job training is the best opportunity. Slowly but surely, make yourself valuable to the agency. It is just a matter of positioning yourself and when the right job comes up your alley then you are ready to pounce on the opportunity.
- Think Out of the Box : Seasoned advertisers are creative, resourceful, and adventurous. You can be one if you operate outside your comfort zone. Concentrate on improving your communication skills, both written and verbal. Advertising is about selling ideas. If you are able to articulate ideas in a clear and concise fashion, then people should be able to recognize your potential.
The advertising industry is a ruthless industry. It is ruthless in a sense that people create so much noise to be noticed. An upstart like you needs to understand fully the complexities of your chosen career. Catapult yourself in the mainstream if you want to get ahead and take advantage of the opportunities within the advertising industry.