Bangkok is a huge retreat for partygoers. Bangkok’s nightlife is dubbed as the best in the world due to the awesome karaoke rooms, party-filled streets after dark, and the never-ending list of bars and nightclubs. But more than the amazing parties, Thailand’s capital city also offers a representation of the country’s culture. Western culture greatly influenced the city, yet Thais are able to preserve some of their traditions in the modern days.
Visiting Bangkok will never be complete without getting to know Thai culture. If you want your kids to be exposed to their culture and traditions, here are 6 practical ways to do so in Bangkok.
- Take them to libraries. Believe it or not, Bangkok is also an escape for book lovers who wish to have a peaceful and quiet place. Other than the National Library, it’s also worth visiting the Neilson Hays Library, The Reading Room, and the Lumpini Public Library to know more about Thailand’s history. Just make sure to check the best hotel in Bangkok for families so it would be more convenient going to these libraries.
- Give them a trip to an interactive museum. Some kids don’t have the penchant for museums. One way to keep their attention is to bring them to an interactive museum such as the Rattanakosin Exhibition Hall along the Ratchadamnoen Klang Road.
- Let your kids experience the tuk-tuk ride. Before there were taxis, MRTs, and buses in Bangkok, there were tuk-tuks. It’s quite similar to those auto rickshaws also found in Thailand’s neighboring countries. Ask the tuk-tuk driver to take you straight to your destination without any stops and agree on the price before your ride.
- Enroll them in short Thai language class. Learning Thai culture and traditions might require learning the language first. There are Thai lessons you can get for free online, but if you’re interested in letting your kids have real interaction, there are schools in Bangkok that offer affordable Thai language classes. You can enroll your child in short classes or longer ones depending on the length of your stay.
- Bike around the city. The best way to observe culture is through interacting with the locals. You could take your kids around the city so they could see themselves how the locals work, do their errands, and follow tradition.
- Give them some art lessons. There are drop-in classes that you can find in many shopping malls. You can take advantage of the art lessons offered so your kids will learn more about how Thais approach art.
Learning about Thai culture can be fun for kids. Just make sure to have the grab the best hotel in Bangkok for families. This way, you won’t have to worry about getting around Bangkok and you and your kids will get the most out of each experience.